About the Canadian Open Data Summit 2018
CODS18 is the latest in a long series of annual conferences held across Canada to convene and bolster the Open Data movement. Taking place this year from November 7th to 9th at the Fallsview Casino Resort and Hilton Hotel in scenic Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, CODS18 convenes upwards of 300 registrants including:
- Public-sector data and policy professionals from First Nations, Municipalities, Regions, Provinces, States, as well as National and International orders of government.
- Private-sector data analysts, publishers and advocates from firms large and small, technology startups to unicorns.
- Policy advisors, analysts, publishers and advocates from non-profits, foundations, charities, co-operatives, health & social service agencies, research centres, think tanks, etc.
- Educators and students from secondary, post-secondary, private, and other institutions.
- Concerned citizens, advocates and activists from all points of the compass.
Emerging topics this year include:
- Civic technology and smart cities/communities
- Ethics of collection & use (e.g. “Nothing about us without us”)
- Private-sector publishers & users of open data
- Health data sharing to strengthen upstream prevention/promotion approach
- Participatory open government
About Open Data
Open Data refers to the movement to have governments at all levels, as well as willing private and non-profit organizations, publish structured data sets in common, machine-readable formats at advertised locations to the utmost extent that is practical and ethical; and to allow the reuse and republishing of these data sets at will with, at most, attribution and sharealike stipulated.
Open Data can:
- Help citizens hold government more accountable and accessible;
- Reduce the administrative costs of routine disclosures by government;
- Generate unsuspected insights for research, advocacy or entrepreneurial purposes (through analysis singly or in combination with other data, information and knowledge).
For a more complete and engaging definition, visit: http://opendatahandbook.org/guide/en/what-is-open-data/
About Niagara Connects and Niagara Open Data
Niagara Connects is a Niagara-wide network of people for collaboration, planning, learning, innovation and community action toward a stronger future for Niagara. We facilitate a neutral, trusted social space where people, organizations, institutions and businesses connect through shared data and knowledge, to support focused action planning and measurement.
- Community strengths, research and evidence are linked in order to plan for a stronger Niagara
- Different interests are engaged to work together mobilizing for change; and
- Research and activities are guided by communities.
Niagara Open Data provides a catalogue of open data sets to the community to put data in the hands of the people. This site enables one to access and use datasets from various organizations in Niagara, including: municipalities, community groups, provincial agencies, not for profits, schools and more. It is managed by a consortium made up of people from these organizations who share a common goal of increasing openness and access to data in Niagara.
Data on the Canadian Open Data Summit 2017
half regional and half from the rest of Canada and the world
57% Governments 14% Private sector
11% Non-profits & associations
8% Citizens/Activists 7% Academics
expert speakers, panellists and content providers
Data is the future.
Every human activity will generate it, and be affected by its publication and use. Whether you are an entrepreneur, activist, service provider, civil servant, student… learn about it now. Make it work for what you care about. (For starters, that means making as much of it as possible open.)
We provide the on-ramp.
Our introductory workshops will take you from an explanation of what data is, to the principles of Open Data, to the use of the tools that make data work for you. Visual, engaging, and accessible is our mantra. Fluency is our destination.
Our community is convening.
The most experienced professionals and advocates; the latest issues and opportunities; the most informed presenters; and the most vital debates are coming to CODS18. Network yourself in the movement and equip yourself for the future at this singularly potent event.
Registration costs and links
Accommodation at Hilton Niagara Falls/Fallsview Hotel & Suites
Niagara Falls has been a world-class tourism destination since before Sir Winston Churchill pronounced the Niagara Parkway the “prettiest drive in the world”, and nowadays the City and the Region both offer a great deal more to visitors than ever before.
Resources for the visitor include:
6380 Fallsview Blvd, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 7X5